• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Accelerated Resolution Therapy??? Anyone Know Anything About This?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Srain

MyPTSD Pro
I saw this on the news. I thought they were talking about EMDR at first but they weren't. It is ART, Accelerated Resolution Therapy. I've posted the sound bite below, and the link to USF which confirms pretty much what the news station reported. It sounded like one of those, "if it sounds too good to be true it usually isn't" ads to me. The woman doing the procedure acted as if it were no big deal and when I looked it up online there was an ad for becoming an ART Certified Therapist like it was the New Age movement, it was slightly odd to me, being the skeptic that I am at quick fixes. They reported as a PRE-PTSD treatment but I'm not sure. Any one have any experience with this?

[DLMURL="http://hscweb3.hsc.usf.edu/health/nursing/dean/?p=1489"]
Code:
http://hscweb3.hsc.usf.edu/health/nursing/dean/?p=1489
[/DLMURL]

Researchers from the University of South Florida's College of Nursing believe it can. And they are using part of a $2.1 million U.S. Army grant to prove it.
The treatment is called accelerated resolution therapy. Discovered about four years ago by a Connecticut therapist named Laney Rosenzweig, it involves a therapist rhythmically waving fingers in front of a client's face to induce eye movements similar to those occurring during the deepest part of sleep.
Dissatisfied with other eye-movement therapies she deemed too passive, Rosenzweig says she "discovered something kind of revolutionary" - replacing an individual's existing mental images that can trigger post traumatic stress with other images.
"I call it voluntary memory/image replacement," she says. "If you go back and change the images from the trauma and they are gone, there is nothing to be triggered to."
The therapy came to the attention of USF researchers thanks to the mother of Kevin Kip, head of research for the College of Nursing.
Kip says his mother knew he was looking for "novel methods" to treat psychological trauma. A few years ago, she read an article in a Connecticut newspaper and forwarded it to Kip.
Now USF is poised to help determine if accelerated resolution therapy is a worthy treatment for those suffering as a result of their service.
For years, Jim Lorraine would "jump out of my skin" if suddenly approached on his right side.
The trauma was the result of an auto accident in 1981 and compounded by being in the Air Force treating patients in Afghanistan, Iraq, Somalia, Haiti and elsewhere.
But then Lorraine, who retired in 2005 as a lieutenant colonel, experienced something that would change his life.
About seven months ago, Lorraine, then the director of the U.S. Special Operations Command's Care Coalition, was asked by Carrie Elk, one of the therapists studying the therapy, if he knew of any service members suffering from post traumatic stress disorder who might be looking for a treatment.
As director of an organization nationally recognized as a leader in helping wounded, ill, and injured service members and their families, Lorraine says he wanted to check out the therapy first before recommending anyone take part.
"I was skeptical," he says. "Is this a snake oil salesman?"
So he sat down with Rosenzweig and underwent the treatment.
After about 90 minutes, he says, he couldn't recall the traumatic scene that caused him to react so strongly. So he recommended the therapy to some wounded special operations force members. It worked for them as well.
Now Lorraine is a believer.
"I would recommend the treatment," says Lorraine.

I would only warn people to beware of all power therapies and hyper-marketed strategies for PTSD... because there all bullshit.

That type of crap works on suckers who first want to part with their $$$, then those who have convinced themselves in their mind they have PTSD, without actually any real trauma, then convince themselves their healed. Power therapies are for suckers.

^^^ I agree completely, "a technique known as Voluntary Memory/Image Replacement, in which the client can replace a negative memory with a positive memory of their choice, or reinterpret the memory." IDK about anyone else's opinion but that sounds just way too good to be true, almost unrealistic.

Replacing a negative with a positive emotion is absolutely therapy. Replacing a negative image with a positive... that sounds like denial to me, not emotional attachment replacement, which near every therapy uses in some form, identify negatives and replace with positives. No drama...

Again, this type of nonsense works for people who's worst image is they had a fight with their BFF and can't get it out of their head, so they use a big bubble of denial to paint a different picture. Sure... that can work... put abnormally traumatic event images into that equation, and try replacing a decapitated child with the monster and his machete standing behind, holding their head in their hands still, with something rosy and lovely, a positive image. You cannot turn that into a positive image... hence power therapies are bullshit and anyone who believes in them, they deserve to be suckered IMO, for being so naive in the first place to not trust their instincts... too good to be true, screaming at them from the pit of their stomach.

You can do this with nightmares... because they are just that, nightmares, and this technique has been used for many years and takes time to master, but you literally learn to rewrite repetitive nightmares, take control, and change the images by changing the outcome. Again though, they are dreams / nightmares, not trauma you have physically witnessed with your eyes and is burnt into your brain. That solution is proven to be acceptance and to remove negative emotion and replace with positive... and then time comes into play as well.

I can understand it with the nightmares and the cognitive work there with rewriting them; but that seems a very different process with the work involved (as well as with the content as anthony said) compared to doing it with eye movements which I don't understand how any of it works either with ART or any other eye movement therapy :confused:

Eye movements with EMDR have been proven ineffective, hence why EMDR got shifted under a CBT model, being it is all cognitive processing, nothing more.

People are constantly trying to make a name for themselves... every new psychologist coming through, writing papers, dreaming shit up and trying to create a name for themselves, instead of focusing on existing practices and creating a name for themselves by being extremely good at them and actually doing their job to help people.

Scammers sit around dreaming shit up to create a name for themselves. There have been only two really effective new strategies in the last two decades, EMDR and NLP, and NLP is only a business coaching / self esteem / communication process, its not a therapy like again... some people try and make a name for themselves and tell people NLP can now cure your PTSD... just pay me x $$$ and it will all be solved.

Sucker is written all over these things.

I've been the lucky recipient of more than a few NEW & EXCITING avenues therapy that have taken throughout the decades so bullshit is easy to spot. An a mini-infomercial for something with a quick cure of anything such as traumatic memories in a few easy sessions, angers me and concerns me for those that think there is something more wrong with them when they have spent money they don't have only to find out that this amazing new cure doesn't work on THEM and they now they are more depressed and in despair!!! Grrrrrrrrrr.

Thanks for the feedback.

I dunno, the whole replacing your memories thing kind urks me out. I don't want to lose my memories, rather, I'd like some back, good or bad. I want to know what my life has been like, I just want to adjust to it healthfully instead of deny or reinvent it. CBT is about as close to brainwashing as I'd like to get, thank you very much.

I thought I posted a bit ago, but I guess it didn't go through. Anyway, ART does in fact work to dissociate painful memories and has a very high success rate. The first official study is just about up and research has already been released and published in the Behavioral Science Open Access Journal that supports the fact that therapists who have been trained in the therapy are seeing dramatic changes in PTSD changes in an average of three sessions. By posting negatively about this particular therapy, while not actually having any knowledge about it, you're doing the world a large disservice (not aimed at any particular person above, but some seem to be not only skeptical, but angry at a therapy that they are ignorant about). I find it a little sad that this post is so high up and probably influencing people that need help to not get this therapy. I just hope that some of the posts above haven't turned any one away who would have otherwise benefited enormously from the therapy.

My two cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back