• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Aromatherapy That May Help Relieve Some PTSD Symptoms

Status
Not open for further replies.
I overdosed on Clary Sage baths. It really helped with the cramps. I actually forgot to come back here the past few days. I actually have grapefruit and roman chamomile, I must start using them a bit more. I mostly use grapefruit in the bath because it helps the body to detox. Great for the system especially with medication.

I actually like to make my own glycerin soap and put the scented oils in them, I find it a good hobby and its relaxing and its so easy to do.

Sage I think is a great scent for me, you dont have to burn it though and I actually prefer the fresh scent. But fresh is hard to have all the time. Burning a little doesn't hurt but I'm not the type to hot box my house with it.

To help me sleep I like to use a lavender and chamomile body lotion made by bath and body works aromatherapy. I just rub some on my hands and arms. Its pretty much bliss, in a healthy way of course.

Tried a blend of oils a few weeks back to see what it was like. It was recommended for insomnia. Now I don't suffer from insomnia but for some irrational reason I gave it a go anyway. Let's just say I was pure sedated for a couple of days! Within an hour I was unconcious and ridiculously early o'clock. Going through a bad spell currently so going to have a bath of it today so that I sleep for a day or two.

The mix: 6 drops in total of roman chamomile, neroli, frankincense and clary sage shortly before bed. Couple of drops of lavender on your pillow and chamomile tea.

Now it does give a slight "hangover" because it is so strong. I was dopey for a few days because I don't have insomnia but I'm guessing if you do have insomnia it will still give some hangover type effect but it was more dopey not banging headache like you have done way to much partying.

I need for my mind to shut down for a day or 2 so that is why I am going to use this today.

I use frankincense, peppermint (occasionally, for specific times), a blend called Release and wintergreen. I like to sniff them directly or dilute them with almond oil and rub them on my wrists. For some reason I absolutely love wintergreen, I've been using it for almost a year now, it was the first one I started to use.

There are days when I make sure to have one or two small bottles of different oils in my pocket at all times.

I also have found that taking oregano and thyme internally have stopped my bladder infections. I've had these infections more oftern since getting PTSD and have found that now the oils are the thing for boosting my immune function enough to fight them off. They both have antimicrobial qualities.

I put one or two drops of each oil in a gel cap then fill the rest of the half cap with almond or olive oil and close the capsule. I take it with plenty of water and food (cheese is good - something heavy/oily to dilute it). I can almost feel the sensation of well-being all over my body. I do this 3 or 4 times the day I feel I'm getting sick, then continue 2 or 3 times for a few days until I feel well again. Take care with using oils internally as they are not all suited to this application.

For my PTSD I feel that the properties of the oils are reaching the level of the illness. Below the physical to the emotional and spiritual levels. Perhaps it is also the molecular density of the oils and the way they travel to every cell in the body very quickly - all the bases are covered.

externalsmile. Please be careful with using 4 oils together. It is recommended that you only use 3 together at one time. I suggest you take one of them out of the blend, the Roman Chamomile is the one I would take out, as you are drinking the tea.

seedling. It is not recommended to take essential oils internal, very rarely is this done. It is used in the food industry and in certain food dishes, but the dilution is a lot more than what you are using. The International Federation Of Aromatherapists, actually advise against this method.

Oregano ad Thyme are on the GRAS list, (Generally Regarded As Safe), but make sure they are pure essential oils, and the recommended dilution for taking them internally is to dilute 1 drop of oil into 1 teaspoon of oil soluble liquid. Such as Honey or full fat milk, the gel capusals can be used, as long as they are the larger ones and 1 oil per capsule.

There is not enough safety data to be able to say to anyone that they are 100% safe to take internally.

I personally would not use them internally. Unless maybe in cooking where the dilution is enormous.

Amethist

I have found sandalwood oil and cedarwood oil to be very healing, and especially good for nightmares. Also, cantaloupe oil, if you can find it, is uplifting. imho :cool:

Amethist, thanks for the info. I've read several articles plus studied my friend's essential oils books (large, encyclopedic volumes - sorry can't remember the title right now, thinking of buying one for myself) - before trying to oils this way. I use the large gel caps and then also eat a portion of cheese The book is very specific about what is GRAS and gives dilution cautions. Most of the oils are not recommended for use internally or full strength on the skin.

I also have been cautious about how I feel when I take them and have only taken a minimum amount. All of them are reputable brands, some of them organic. No copycats. I am chemically sensitive to petroleum products, etc.

I'm only saying on this thread what has worked for me after doing my own research and trying it on myself. I am not recommending the same regimen for anyone else and I appreciate your information as someone who is knowledgeable about essential oils. Thanks for the guidance.

Just went and got a bunch of incense today. I haven't tried burning any in awhile but I tried it earlier and its pretty good stuff. One of them is called 'pixie forest' and its great. My only complaint with the incense is that you don't know what is in it. At the smoke shop where I get it all you can see are a bunch of fantasy like names for their products rather than saying what is in it.

You know, I have already made my own soap a few times. Maybe I should look into making my own incense, the thought kind of excites me a little. At least I'll know whats in it then.

The really top quality incenses will tell you what is in them gamer. The ones I buy have a leaflet inside which tells what is in that one, and others in the collection.

I usually burn Nag champa incense sticks which are Sandlewood & Champa flower. I started using them after going to my local spa, the smell of them burning is very relaxing.
I'd be interested to try some others but I'm not sure what to buy. Also are some brands better to buy than others, I usually buy Satya Sai Baba.

I buy the MAROMA- Auroville Incense brand, loads of different fragrances available, I have quite a collection now.

You can Google them as written above and see all the products they make. You can also buy them from Amazon, or probably find a local outlet close to you by doing a search.

I burn Nag Champa, and hubby loves the super hit ones, when he want's to just chill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back