• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Catatonic States

Status
Not open for further replies.

shimmerz

MyPTSD Pro
Does anyone here have experiences with going catatonic? Just for the record, catatonic in wiki's first paragraph describes it as such:

Catatonia is a state of neurogenic motor immobility, and behavioral abnormality manifested by stupor.

For myself it is a coma like state. I cannot move, I cannot talk, I sometimes have my eyes open but I hear they are full of terror, but mostly remain in a tight fetal position.

I have had experiences with semi-catatonia. It has gotten less frequent, maybe because of medication. Usually I don't remember anything at all. I am unresponsive. Sometimes I recall feeling trapped. I don't know if this is normal but sometimes I apparently (not often) get very agitated and upset over nothing as well but there is no purpose to it. I am normally just blank.

Yes, but it was misunderstood and called a stroke. So, I just referred to it as a stroke not really knowing what it was. Can you feel it before it manifests? I can and don't care to snap out of it much of the time.

Does anyone here have experiences with going catatonic? Just for the record, catatonic in wiki's first paragraph describes it as such:

Catatonia is a state of neurogenic motor immobility, and behavioral abnormality manifested by stupor.

For myself it is a coma like state. I cannot move, I cannot talk, I sometimes have my eyes open but I hear they are full of terror, but mostly remain in a tight fetal position.

Hi Shimmer,

How strange that you have posted this...I honestly didn't think catatonia was a feature of PTSD...

I have flashbacks about being catatonic. Well, about seeing my self catatonic in a video and someone telling me I was catatonic...I thought it very strange to have this turn up in a flashback. I don't have flashbacks about what made me catatonic, or what happened while I was catatonic...just the video, and someone saying that was what it was.

As this was really unusual, I have dismissed it as a confabulation or false memory. There must have been something in my history where I saw, maybe in a movie, a catatonic person - like the 'Awakening'. And, super imposed this condition into my flashbacks to explain how I was emotionally feeling at the time. It was just so unusual that I didn't believe it possible with PTSD!

My therapist dismissed it as a false memory when I mentioned it along with a number of other bizarre things in my flashbacks....like having a hallucination about my sister being with me when she wasn't there, so I was talking to myself in my flashback! I didn't think hallucinations in flashbacks were real memories either...

I understand that catatonia is a form of brain damage....so it worried me that this was in my flashbacks. Is this common with PTSD? Can you remember what lead to the catatonic state? Can you remember what happened while you were in the catatonic state? Just curious as I can't :( .

I was eventually driven into a state of catatonia but my abusers. It was part of mind control programming. Catatonia was the 'tabla rassa' or empty minded state they wanted to try implant behaviors and directions. This is not a successful method of mind control.

Being trained with dobermans was more effective.

Catatonia was the 'tabla rassa' or empty minded state they wanted to try implant behaviors and directions. This is not a successful method of mind control.

I am sorry (and very shocked!) to hear that catatonia was induced to 'implant' behaviors or directions! But, happy to hear it was not a successful method of mind control!

I worry that people take advantage of sufferers who are often in states where there may have increased 'suggestibility'. They do after all create and attack our core beliefs! Glad to hear that in a catatonic state they can't take advantage of the 'mind'...but still worry they could take advantage of the 'state'...

Yes, You are right. It is a terrible condition to be in, like being beyond the reach of sound, feeling,terror. It is a non-human state of mindlessness and soullessness that seems to be an infinite prison of motionlessness.

Not like catotonic proper, but I can sit and stare and stare and stare for hours .

It disturbs people, but I get locked into a stare and can't get out. Brain lock is what I call it.

I also had a few episodes where I was frozen and could not respond to an abuser who just got madder and hurt me worse because I could not respond. B*stard.

But never real, true catotonia. My heart goes out to anyone who has had that! PTSD is a b*tch!

Dear Akradlak,
Brain lock must be very hard to live with in the here and now. If that happens to me, I know my 22 yr. old daughter gets scared. I try to hide as it is coming on but it doesn't always work, can't get away to my closet fast enough.

I came close to freezing to death too. But thank God, it as not an abuser who found me and the other children. He was a clean up guy. I didn't know there were others splayed out around the terraces. I woke up in a cold garage under a pile of frozen girls, eyes wide open, limbs akimbo. It has been a survivor guilt issue with me.

((((MERCY)))) That must have been terrible. I am so sorry you had to endure that, and as a child!

This world can be such a scary place......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back