• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

I Wake Up Choking At Night Has Anyone Else Had This Happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesse

MyPTSD Pro
I have a serious sleep disorder that goes back to early childhood. 5 years ago I went for a sleep study, I was diagnosed with a non-REM parasomnia. Has anyone else here had this diagnosis? When the doc showed me the results it indicated that as soon as my brain went into delta sleep (deepest level of sleep) my mind wakes up even though I am not conscious, I woke up every two minutes during the study. One thing that really bothers me and makes me afraid to sleep is I have a recurring dream that I am choking to death and I wake up kneeling in bed choking and gagging. I think I really might somehow be choking and it scares the crap out of me. Has anyone else here experienced this?
Jesse
P.S. I do not have sleep apnea

I guess there are lot of nuances to sleep disorders just like with PTSD. I have not had this happen. But a family member has night terrors that she did not understand and none of us knew for sure what was happening. She finally set up a video camera with a six hour tape and taped what was happening. She would yell, jump out of bed and run to the door as if escaping something. This happened two or three times per night. Usually when she got to the door, she would wake up enough and go back to bed. You might know more about what is really happening if you video record yourself sleeping. Then, you can hear if you are actually not breathing, how you are sleeping before the choking, etc. If you see that you are breathing normally and it appears to be a sleeping PTSD reaction of some kind, the fear might lessen if you see you are really not choking or losing breath physiologically. If you do stop breathing and/or really do seem to be choking, you will have something for your doctor to review to figure out what is going on.

I sometimes get something like that. A few times my husband has woke me up becasue he thought I was choking or not breathing. Once or twice he woke me up becasue I breathing very heavily and gasping. I have never thought to video tape it, but for some reason that makes me feel like I would be watching a horror movie. Oh, a few years ago...I guess I was dreaming, but I was dreaming that someone was choking me. I could not breath in my dream..when I woke up, my throat and lungs were burning, my head was back and my mouth open. It was very scary.
Ironically, my T and I were talking about this yesterday in session. I was telling him how my grandfather had PTSD, and would scream in his sleep.( he was in Korean war). He asked me if I ever screamed in my sleep, I told him not that I know of. But I will move around a lot, or the breathing thing.

Reading over my post...I realize I am not adding much. But I wanted to say something. Having had a touch of what you are talking about, I wanted to say something! Yours sounds a lot worse, I would video tape it just in case.

Thanks Ayesha what you described is exactly how it feels. I am starting to think that my sleep disorder is more a symptom of PTSD than a sleep disorder in itself. I am relieved to hear someone else desribe it although I'm sorry you have experienced it too.

Jesse, I have this same exact thing happen every few days! I wake up from a dream of choking, and sit up, grabbing at my husband and trying to let him know that I'm choking to death. He is so used to it now that he doesn't really even wake up, just pats me and says, "You're not choking, sweetie - you can breathe." After a minute or so, I realize that of course, I AM breathing. It's always so hard to get settled back down after this.

If you do decide to videotape it, let us know what you see. I'd be curious to see what it looks like from the outside!

I so know exactly how u feel kate. It is so scary! I really don't have anyway to videotape myself but its a good idea.

Looking at my post, I realize I phrased it, "I'd be curious to SEE what it looks like," which might sound like I wanted to see the video you made! I meant I'd be curious to hear what you discovered. Sorry if my phrasing sounded a bit invasive or creepy! :)

I am tempted to try and video myself and see if I can catch it, but our videocamera only takes 2 hours of video, and it seems pretty unlikely that I'd happen to catch it on tape. I may try it anyway, just to see how it goes. If I do catch it on tape, I'll report back.

I don't have any sleep disorders that I know of but a lot of my nightmares involve being choked, drowning, or otherwise not being able to breathe... this makes enough sense because to me why I get these, but it doesn't get any easier, I wake up gasping for breath, even though I know it's not really happening it is terrifying... and also brings me back to the trauma... I don't think this is actually dangerous though I think it's all in the mind and our bodies would not let us actually stop breathing long enough to do damage. Hopefully anyway

Yes, I have woken up badly choking before several times, not for a while though, very hard to get a breath, and strong burning sensation, but I can't recall if I was also having a nightmare- I think so. Very terrifying feeling because you're struggling so hard to breathe.

I've heard C-PAP's help a lot with these sleep disorders. The folks who use them say it has changed their lives, as they are finally getting proper rest. I hear it is a little difficult to adjust to wearing it at first, but once you adjust, it's life changing. They are used a lot these days, you may want to speak to see if it will help you. I'm sure insurance covers the unit.

hello sorry im not much help but i have been lately having some problems when i am sleeping and its scaring me. i thought you all might be able to help or see if its happened to you aswell. lately i have been feeling like someone one or thing is choking me in my sleep but there is no one there. i feel as if im awake im in my bed next to my partner n i try n yell out to him n i can only get a whisper i cant move any muscle only slightly i feel like there is something holding me down and i cant breathe it has been happening frequantly lately and its really scaring me that i cant breathe im scared i will die in my sleep. it might sound stupid my partner thinks im just dreaming and its stupid but im really scared. i feel as if im really awake but not ever time will i be able to cut out of it. last night i was able after age n i started crying saying you didnt save me n that im gonna die n he just laughs at me :( i dont no if its really happening or if its just me dreaming its really scary. does anyone have a advice or is going through the same thing ? i know yrs ago for a little while this would happen but it stopped and now its been going on for the last several months. n its get moren more often each week some times night after night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back