• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

My Dog Has Become My Best Friend....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaii

Confident
I do not leave the house, unless it is to pick up my children from school. I have become a recluse. I feel calmer at home, safer. My friends don't call anymore...and I don't call them. They were so supportive when we initially found Sarah's murdered body in the woods. Friends would call, wanting to go out for coffee, to talk about how I was doing but I ignored them and made excuses why I couldn't meet up with them. Eventually, I stopped answering the phone and they stopped calling.

Now, nobody calls anymore but strangely, I am okay with this. It honestly doesn't bother me because the thought of having to go out and make conversation with people stresses me out immensely. My psychiatrist says that I have to stop isolating myself but it feels "unnatural" ad a huge effort for me to be out with people anymore.

My dog, Lady, has become my best friend. I know she understands my grief/anxiety and stress. I don't have to explain anything to her, I can just "be".

She looks at me with wise brown eyes and doesn't judge me. I trust her and she is always there for me. She comforts me and is always by my side. She is a loyal girl. I feel safer when she is around and she follows me around the house, protecting me.

My best friend is a dog....how sad is that?

My best friend is a dog....how sad is that?

Not sad at all. Look at the posts where pets have made the difference. My dogs are not trained but they know when I need their help, to be able to hold them, they can return me to the present. They also give me a purpose in life, a reason to leave the house and go for a walk.

Walking them does help me, they are so funny to watch. They give so much and expect so little in return.

I also like to be reclusive and it is easy to do so. But the challenge is to break the habit and it does need to be broken. Slowly, it took me days of sitting with the phone in my hand before I could phone a friend, and your friends do still care about you. Do it, just one, say hi.

(((HUGS)))
KP

It is not sad at all. Dogs are well-known for their unconditional love towards their person. My dog is still my best freind and I am learning to get out and socialize now. I have human freinds but none will ever compare to my furry four-legged one. It's a special relationship. :)

Trying to not isolate can be very difficult. I would suggest trying to make one phone call to one freind also. Start out little. Keep trying to reach out and eventually you will be able to without so much effort.

bec

I have been there, hiding myself from the world because of my uneasiness around other people and my shyness but slowly I started doing things, little by little getting better, going out. I can't say I can go to a dance or party without feeling really uncomfortable and I will admit I still don't go to major ones. I know last year I wouldn't do half the stuff I could do today but to great friends helping brake out of my shell I can. Just the other day I hanged out with my best friend and stayed over for the night. Something I never thought I would be able to do, without feeling uncomfortable, but I did and I felt great and very comfortable.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway." ~John Wayne

It might be weird, but I think it would be odd if your dog wasn't your best friend. Animals are so amazing and they can be there for us in so many ways that other humans can't be. Even cats are good company, though they're a little more finicky sometimes.

I keep in touch with my friends through the internet. I figure I'll work up to the phone, but for now, sending an email is work, so I'll work at that.

She looks at me with wise brown eyes and doesn't judge me. I trust her and she is always there for me. She comforts me and is always by my side. She is a loyal girl. I feel safer when she is around and she follows me around the house, protecting me.
Kaii, this doesn't sound sad. Your relationship to your dog seems similar to what I have with mine. In fact, I'm not sure I would socialize at all outside of my home (the neighbors come through sometimes) if not for my puppy. She's a great ice breaker, and when I feel insecure, she gives me a sense that I can at least rely on her to be there for me if I break down in public. I'm actually out without her right now and missing her terribly.

I hope that you can work towards a place where you feel safe with people as well as your puppy, but I wouldn't berate yourself for the loving relationship you share with your loyal pet. I want to eventually get out and be social again, but I'm for now my dog motivates me to be awake, responsible, to get outside several times a day, to laugh and play, and to live for the next day, when she will still need me to take care of her.

Hi Kaii,
My two dogs are my best friends too. The breed, Leonberger, is even used for companion dogs. They just hang around and listen and get petted and act silly. I love 'em to bits. Without this breed of dog I'd be a complete recluse. I do have one friend I talk to but it is a long distance relationship. She's the only person I've told my most horrendous memories to. But my dogs, they make me laugh and play and enjoy life.

Hi Kaii,

My dogs are my best friends too. They are the ones I can talk to when I don't feel like talking to anyone else. They are totally nonjudgmental and show unconditional love. Dogs help us to keep from isolating totally, reduce our stress, comfort us when we are feeling down, and basically bring joy to days that feel so empty.

Personally, I think all PTSD sufferers should have a pet. They add so much to our lives.

Deb

I trust my animal companions more than my human friends. But I'm working on it. I tend to keep my two friends at arms length but they understand. Last night, I had my dog Jesse beside me, and cats Elsa on my left, Grace on my right and Crystal sleeping on my feet. They help me to feel safe. And they seem to understand that I need that.

Hey, it's not sad dear, my best friend is cartoon characters, because they laugh me whenever I am upset, and try to keep away me from troubles. I just love my best friend and you should also not sad for that. I keep in touch with my friend through the TV and internet.

It's not sad at all and it's actually really positive :) dogs are so perceptive. I had a dog until she was 15 and I pretty much grew up with her, she was there throughout tough times and she was also a fighter but she was affected by the trauma too and went through her own depression.

Your dog is probably going to help you through all of this more than some of your friends can by allowing you to feel comfortable and to be yourself because you have mutual trust and she lives with you and has seen you when you were feeling your worst.

I can relate to the whole thing of not wanting to speak to anyone but I have just got back in touch with a good friend who wanted to meet up, she has the flu but I was going to pop in today - the thing is last night I didn't get a wink of sleep so I was anxious about today, she contacted me to say she was also feeling tired and hardly had any sleep also that her little boy was in a rotten mood because he didn't sleep much - deep down I was relieved that she cancelled. I know she understands PTSD and she's had it too, she recommended that we go swimming next week because she said it worked for her but Im not sure Im up to it...I think it's about baby steps and doing things gradually. Go at your own pace, Im sure your friends know that you just need space and they'll be there when you're ready :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back