• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Read Me - Book Club Procedures

Status
Not open for further replies.

anthony

Founder
Book club is a social PTSD group who read and discuss a voted upon book. It is open to supporters and sufferers.

Do I Have To Partake In Every Book?

No. Some people may only like to partake in certain books. Some may have a limited budget to participate within x books each year. There may be times where someone has already read the book, so they participate with prior knowledge in that books discussion.

Is There More Than One Book Being Read?

Yes. There are series discussions, which any member can begin about a book series.

There are book club specific discussions which are isolated to begin at an established time for book club purposes.

Then, any member can start a discussion about their favourite or current book, providing it does not clash with the above two, being one in a series or a reserved book club choice.

How Is The Book Chosen?

All "active" participants of the group put forward recommendations to the [DLMURL="https://www.ptsdforum.org/c/threads/book-list.23114/"]book list[/DLMURL]. The list of books are then entered into Random.org, and randomized. A screen capture video is taken to provide evidence for validity. The first 10 books are then put to a poll for 4 days, in which time the poll will automatically close.

If a clear winner is present with 50% or more of the votes, then that book is chosen and entered onto the book list "Books Chosen" as an ordered book to be read.

If no clear winner, the two highest voted books are then narrowed to another 24hr poll, in which the one with the highest amount wins. If there are more than two books, ie. due to a tie between some books, then all the highest books are voted on again to define a clear winner, holding 51% of a vote.

Basically, we narrow each random selection to one book as a majority. Once a book is chosen, we list it in order on the book list and repeat the process.

All voting on polls are private, not public, so no names are recorded, thus bias cannot be introduced.

The desired result is the majority rules, thus that is the book we accept to purchase, read and discuss.

How Is Discussion Performed?

A thread is created using the books official name. That becomes the books "only" discussion thread.

Reading is irrelevant to discussion. You may have read the book, or read the entire book before discussing, all irrelevant.

Even though book club has read the book, further joiners may choose to read the book and begin posting onto that discussion as well. Once a discussion thread exists for a book, it can be posted upon at any time by those reading the book.

What If I Get Behind?

Things go on in everyone's life. Shit happens, people go on holidays, all sorts of things. You catchup when you can. The discussion is always there, it isn't going anywhere, so you can still participate within a previous book, even if onto a new book. Just don't read the discussion until you've read the book, that way you won't have anything spoilt for you before reading it yourself.

Cheap Places To Purchase Books
  • Dead Link Removed - They provide a range of book formats, including second hand.
  • Book Depository - Free online shipping to most countries globally.
  • Paperback Swap - An online swap program and cheap second hand books.

Updated how the book is chosen, as I found a good online method to randomize, thus a simple screen capture of the process, posted in HD for everyone in the club to see the outcome.

Refined again how the book is chosen, due to if from the first poll of 10, there is ever a winner with still less than 50% of the vote, yet there are two or more books tied, then the highest + tied books are narrowed to vote.

I adjusted the terms... I think this needs to expand a little to boost participation. I adjusted in the terms outside of just bookclub fixed readings:

Is There More Than One Book Being Read?

Yes. There are series discussions, which any member can begin about a book series.

There are book club specific discussions which are isolated to begin at an established time for book club purposes.

Then, any member can start a discussion about their favourite or current book, providing it does not clash with the above two, being one in a series or a reserved book club choice.

I adjusted some wording in the procedure, especially focusing on "active" members recommendations and not just people dropping in their recommendation and not participating. Books read should be those by the members actively participating in reading and posting of books.

I removed some other aspects based on how the process has refined itself to what actually happens versus what would like to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back