• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News Trauma And Sexual Dysfunction

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 541

SEATTLE (UPI) -- A large number of trauma patients suffer from sexual dysfunction long after their initial injury, researchers at the University of Washington say.

Nearly one-third of patients who had sustained moderate to severe trauma reported some degree of sexual dysfunction, and most characterized the dysfunction as severe a year after the event, the researchers said.

The study found a total of 3,087 of 10,122 patients who were treated for trauma had sexual dysfunction.

Dr. Mathew D. Sorensen and colleagues said the researchers did not expect to find sexual dysfunction was so widespread among trauma patients.

"Overall, the sexual dysfunction rate in this study is about double what it is in studies of healthy patients. And for patients under the age of 50 years, the rate is about triple," Sorensen said in a statement.

"In fact, we found that a moderate to severe traumatic injury imparts a risk of sexual dysfunction above and beyond the risk that may be imparted by known risk factors for sexual dysfunction, such as increasing age, diabetes and lower socioeconomic status."

The findings were presented at the Clinical Congress of the American College of Surgeons.

...and if the initial trauma was sexual abuse...no wonder it is so hard to resolve. It is sad though because it seems no sex=no partner in life. I have found very few are patient with sexual dysfunction, even though working on it. (my vulnerable spot)
Thanks for the article.

Thank you for this article. WHile it's depressing, it does normalize the issues I (and others) have.

I would say that this is already known actually. This is already a standing fact and recognised throughout the world. Traumatic injury is already factually proven to stay with and impede a persons functions, various in fact, throughout their life. It is normal for a person who has been raped to have a skewed reality of sexual orientation, to either go to one extreme or the other with sex itself, ie. heavily sexual or scared to have sex and/or can not orgasm from another during sex.

And I am proof of that article, as well. I was raped at 15 by a friend's boyfriend, then I proceeded to several years of heavy promiscuity. Plus, I think that there was some form of sexual abuse when I was a small child, as I feel lots of trauma coming from that "little girl" I try to connect with in therapy.

Still a "work in progress"...
skyp

Yeah, it certainly does hamper sexual relations. It wasn't until the last guy I was with that I could get off on a guy. It took many partners before I didn't cry during sex anymore. I know of many others who have lifetime sexual issues as a result of rape. One of the biggest issues is that we don't often talk about it--even with our partners...

Yet another aspect of PTSD that I hope I overcome one day. I thinking obtaining self esteem and the right person is the only way.

Oprah did a thing today about sexual isues, specifically women and sexual dysfunction. Nothing was mentioned about trauma, though, and I was a bit disappointed about this considering it is such a big part of why many women have dysfunction.

Very interesting. It seems unusual that they were surpised to find that the results were so widespread as trauma does affect (factually speaking) most/ all of the brain and sex is 90 something percent mental

For me, sex kills the intimacy, even if the intimacy leads to sex. Once this lead to sexual assault, because he took it personally (an old x, years ago), and he felt entitled because of his efforts leading up to that (he told me so, "I fixed your washing machine, I fixed your drier" - I didn't ask for that, nor would the payment be in the form of sex if I had asked for that)...

...I now find myself disgusted at anybody feeling entitled to any part of me - wether that is an explanation for something I did, my time, sex, intimacy (a lot of the time, but not always), my skills, my art, whatever, prying into my life, answers to personal questions, sometimes even just my name (to me my name is very personal, I feel like it tells all about me; weaknesses, strengths - particularly if that person is well-connected, and male). You have to ask first! And I don't have to say Yes.

But I think the feeling/response is exaggerated. My family keep asking me if I'm going to become a cat lady, because I have not yet produced any offspring. I want kids one day, but my soul purpose in life is not to have babies!

*Yes, I said 'soul', not 'sole' purpose*

Does anybody relate to this?

A lifetime of growth around my sexuality and blessed with a partner that was extremly patient and willing to work with me and a great desire for me to heal.
LOTS of counselling and lots of nights of me saying it was enough and we stopped. The trust building was incredible and took a long time but I developed from a woman that was described as a 'corpse on a morgue table' to somewhat of an experimentor. Sometimes I worry about being too open. Some may not agree with my path but it made me feel so much better about myself.
I still struggled to the point I could not breastfeed(even my third child--very disheartening), but atleast I had desire versus revoltion(my first attempt).

I spent a great deal of time talking to my children, making sure I would never 'become a monster' a fear--I never wanted my children to suffer the fate I did.(positive out of it-- my sons and i can talk about sex comfortably).
I never lied to them about the dangers of predators--I had to as my brother was the one that took advantage of me.

In time I had 3 children, it was worth the struggle through the healing. Now I am back in it again but not alone.

New partner who has his own sexual issues, we struggle with. I try to remember the kindness my old partner had for me. My new partner feels such shame
and I try to share with him. We still don't know how much of his dysfunction is physical versus the ptsd. But it is hard on him as my sexuality is so open now.
He says that I remind him of what he used to be and he feels less a man.
I don't know what to say to him sometimes. I try to let him know our togetherness is more important than sex.

One day we will get it right smile.

Hope this openess is helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back