• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Water and Muscle Pain - An Experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marlene

MyPTSD Pro
Last week I was talking to my chiropractor about muscle pain/tension and he said that a lot of times, people are dehydrated and don't even realize it. And that dehydration can cause muscle pain/tension or if you're already having it...make it worse.

He gave me a formula to figure out how much water a person is supposed to drink a day to keep from being dehydrated. Take your weight, divide it by 2 and that's the number of ounces of water you're supposed to drink a day. And if you drink something with caffeine (it's a diuretic and takes water out of the body), add ten ounces of water for every cup of coffee, tea or soda.
  • I weigh 150 pound divided by 2 =75 ounces
I know a lot here use a different weight/measure system...but I'm sure the formula will work.

I decided to try an experiement on myself for a week with this this water/ muscle pain theory and see if it might help. Fortunately I have a water bottle that holds 25 ounces. And since I have a cup or two of coffee in the morning, I'd just split the difference and drink four bottles of water (100 ounces). Two in the morning-two in the afternoon at work.

After a week, I have noticed a difference. My muscle pain has decreased and when I do have pain/tension, it doesn't last as long. I'm the first one to look for an alternative to taking pills to help myself. And since drinking water is supposed to be the best for you, I figure it's a winning situation no matter what.

Just thought I'd share.

Hi Marlene, have you tried Hydrotherapy, that works great for muscle pain and such. Bathing in a Hydro pool is great, you just sit there and relax and all of the bubbles help. Also what helps is to go and see a masseuse who can help as well, with a good massage.
Scott:hello:

Yes, the chiropractor was right: many people are dehydrated without realizing it. It partially comes from the habbit to drink tea or coffee, which makes yu thirst to go away, but help little with you body's need of water. I have some muscle tension, too, and noticed that it is better when I do not have access to cafeinated drinks, using a plenty of water or Zeltser instead. So, I look for this through the Internet, and the info I found put a base under the observation.
Now, I drink a lot more water and Zeltser, and use caffeinne in pills or as Espresso (does not make you full, so if you are thirsty, you feel it).
Good luck!

to drink tea or coffee, which makes yu thirst to go away, but help little with you body's need of water.

I've always liked drinking water, so this isn't a hardship for me. I haven't been drinking much coffee lately (my sense of smell is really sensitive right now and even fresh brewed coffee smells scorched and I can't get past the smell), but I do know I can't give up my iced tea. Especially with it starting to warm back up here in Florida. Plus tea is supposed to be healthy for you. So I'll just keep up the extra water intake. LOL

But I was really suprised at the amount of water my body needs on a daily basis. Putting that into the 'learn something new everyday' category.

Yep, all my docs stay on my butt about drinking more water and to stop smoking. I'm not gonna have any vices left. Jeeze.....

I'm not gonna have any vices left. Jeeze.....

I know how you feel Terry. I gave up partying, I gave up drinking (maybe one beer every week or so...no big whoo!), I gave up smoking. I'm just about out of vices, too. I'm either going to have to come up with more or do a whole lot more cussin'!! LOL

Marlene, it would possibly better to chose decaf tea :)
What about the tea is good for you. Yes, it is, if used properly. I know a lot about tea, since it is a favorite soft drink in my home country.
How to make a good tea?
Use a fresh-made tea. Do not leave it overnight, unless using for Kumbacha mushroom.
Use the proper kind of tea, preferrably "finest" or "fine". I personally drink Red Rose as everyday drink, and something exotic, like white tea or Smoked Russian on Satardays.
Add a piece of lemon to your tea: it improves the taste and contains vitamin C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back